Seahorses are beautiful and intriguing creatures. Can you imagine keeping them in your custom aquarium?
As long as you have the proper saltwater aquarium setup, it is possible…but, very difficult. Aquarium maintenance for seahorses requires a lot more attention than other fish and marine life. These creatures are a favorite of Diamond Aquatics owner, Nick Diamond, so we’re sharing some fun facts with you. Read on…
- Seahorses are actually fish! They are predatory however they are poor swimmers. They are the slowest moving marine fish. Some only move 5 feet per hour.
- Even though seahorses are slow swimmers, these predators have one of the fastest strikes in the ocean.
- Did you know male seahorses are the ones who get pregnant? It’s true; a female seahorse deposits her eggs into the male’s pouch for fertilization by his sperm.
- Less than 1% of a seahorse’s eggs will survive to develop into maturity, that’s why a male seahorse could give birth to as many as 2,000 babies at a time.
- Seahorses can change color when they are stressed out; their skin changes color since they do not have scales.
- Seahorses can only curl their tails frontwards, not backwards. Sometimes they wrap it around things when they are sleeping so that they do not float away.
Keeping seahorses is a lot of work, however, we can help you find the best solution for your custom aquarium! Contact us today for more information.